8.22.2014

Back-to-School Challenge: Day 3


Before I even get started I want to apologized for not completing day 2 of the back-to-school blogging challenge. Yesterday was a very busy day for me. School at the crack of dawn, straight to work, and home where I found myself doing hours of homework. I didn't realize I would be so busy, so if I am blogging less I just want y'all to know this is why.

Regardless, I am here today for day 3 of the challenge! Today's topic is:
"What would you tell your freshman self? / How are you preparing for school this year?"

I chose to write about preparing for school because I absolutely adore getting ready for back-to-school! I love collecting school supplies and getting schedules. My life often feels more organized when I have a set schedule. 



The FIRST step in preparing for school would be to get supplies.
You may not know what you need for your classes right off the bat, but you can never go wrong with the basics. A binder, backpack, folder, notebook, an agenda, paper, pencils, and pens. You are guaranteed to use these things to stay organized. I have already started college, but I bought these basic things beforehand, and I have already used them ALL in the first week.

Another thing to purchase would be any textbooks you need for your classes. I purchased all of mine before classes started and thank goodness I actually needed them all. I say that because I got some tips from people I have met over the past week to make sure your professor actually uses the book before wasting hundreds of dollars on them! 



The SECOND step in preparing for school would be to know your schedule. 
In college you pick your schedule. You sign up for classes that work with your work or everyday life schedule which is awesome! In high school you go to school from 7:30 AM - 2 PM, and that's that. My college schedule is all over the place. Morning classes, afternoon classes, and night classes! (Mostly because I got registered a little later than usual, so I didn't have the most fabulous classes to pick from…) I am okay with that though because I have actually come to love my afternoon/night classes. Don't ask why because I'm not that sure why either. My morning class is a drag to me and I just don't have the energy in the morning. Anyway! (Sorry, I'm getting off topic!)

You should always know your schedule. Memorize the times you have classes. You'll remember on your own eventually, but nobody wants to me lost on their first day! Also, go to your school and look for the actual rooms! I was lucky enough to go with a girl friend and we looked around campus together. By doing this I knew exactly where to go and I found important things like the library, the book store, and the student lounge! 



The THIRD step in preparing for school is to get organized.
During the summer you may have had a lot of hours at work like I did. Unfortunately that all comes to an end when school starts. I had to change my availability to wacky times so I could work around school. One of the most important things to know is that SCHOOL IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WORK. My parents are constantly telling me this. I understand that some people are already out on their own at my age and need their jobs to survive, but while going to get an education at the same time… that is more important in my opinion. With your education you can get a better job doing something you love. I know it may suck to give up hours, but in the long run, you'll end up with better opportunities. 
**I don't mean to offend anybody by saying this, it's just my opinion.**

Another way to get organized for school is using an agenda.
I cannot express to you how much I LOVE my agenda already. I bought a Lilly Pulitzer one and it is seriously my BFF. I write everything it it. All of my homework for my classes, my work schedule, when I'll see my boyfriend, and when to work on blog posts! ;)

Lastly, to get organized take care of your backpack!
I cannot tell you how important it is for you to keep your backpack neat and tidy. I have seen some pretty horrid backpacks during my high school years and I never understood how someone could even live with that! My backpack is ALWAYS clean. I know where everything is. I also only keep books that I need for the particular class I'm going to in there to avoid awful heaviness! 



The FOURTH and final step in preparing for school is to relax!
Yes, the last step is to relax. You deserve it. Going back to school is stressful. If you work like I do you know that by the end of the summer you are absolutely exhausted. My feet ache from standing all day, 6 days a week, my wrist hurts from carring trays table to table, and my back is completely shot by the end of the day. 
Take the weekend off before your first day. Get your nails done, go shopping, spend some much needed time with your significant other. Your life is probably going to get a lot busier. So sit back and RELAX.



I  hope y'all enjoyed reading!
Come back tomorrow for day 4 of the back-to-school blogging challenge!
(I promise I'll be writing!) :)


How are you preparing for school?
Do you have any tips?

6 comments:

  1. I just bought a Lilly Pulitzer agenda and love it, too! Which design did you pick??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Relax is key! My first year going to college I was a nervous wreak. I am surprise I didn't have a heart attack from all the stress I was giving myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post! i am preparing too! i have to buy my supplies and i already bought my planner to stayed organized. i am loving my scheudle and the last thing is to relax, which is so important and people forget. thanks for sharing
    xo
    Orly
    coffeebeansandhighheels.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. School supplies... my favorite part. :) I definitely try to relax the first week of the quarter, because my life gets crazy over the course of the quarter. Great tips! :)

    xo,
    Zoe | La Vie en Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great :) Yay for going back to school!

    http://neatly-packaged.com/

    ReplyDelete